Applying to Run Events Supported by Live Literature
The Live Literature programme works with you to bring authors from our database into your community. Read on to find out how to apply for sessions.
Applications for events to take place in January, February or March 2016 are now closed. The deadline for applications was Wednesday 30 September 2015 at noon.
The next deadline will be in late January 2016 and will support events taking place from 1 April-31 December 2016. Check this page or sign up to one of our e-updates to find out when we open for applications.
Sessions for May-December 2015 were awarded in February 2015.
Please note that we grant all available sessions at the panel meeting. Though we can’t provide extra sessions outside of the deadlines, you can sign up to one of our e-updates to find out about future deadlines.
How to apply
If your project or organisation receives funding from Creative Scotland, you cannot use that funding to meet the cost of hosting Live Literature sessions (£75 plus VAT per visit). The Live Literature programme is funded by Creative Scotland; this is double-funding.
How much do sessions cost and what do they involve?
A session is approximately one hour long, with one author (maximum length: one and a half hours). Our programme provides a package of support to help you make the most of an author getting involved in your work.
- Scottish Book Trust pays the author’s fee (£150 per session), travel and accommodation expenses directly to the author after the event. We provide a claim form to make this easy, fast and straightforward.
- You pay a pre-set, predictable cost per session – great for budgets! We invoice you for a contribution to the author’s fee after the event (£75 per session, a total of £90 including VAT. Some organisations can reclaim VAT).
- Everyone pays the same contribution, no matter how short or long the author’s journey to the session. This gives you more flexibility to choose authors and helps you bring new voices to your audiences.
- The panel carefully read and consider all applications. Where appropriate, the panel give feedback along with the award decision.
- There is help and advice available at every step of organising your sessions from the experienced team at Scottish Book Trust.
- Scottish Book Trust’s Marketing Team can help you promote your events online and locally.
How many sessions can you apply for?
You can apply for as many sessions as you can use and that your budget can support.
You cannot apply for sessions featuring authors who are in a leading role within your organisation e.g. director, chair, board level. In exceptional circumstances, contact Scottish Book Trust before booking the author to discuss this further.
Authors can’t apply for sessions on your behalf.
About ongoing projects
Each round of applications is different and our panel changes every time. If your project runs over several years, we can’t guarantee you’ll get all of the sessions you ask for at each deadline. Please consider other ways you can support your project if future applications are not fully awarded.
Get in touch
If you have any further questions about Live Literature, or the author database, please get in touch with:
Kay Bohan, Writer Development and Live Literature Administrator
email@example.com, 0131 524 0160