Bookbug Week is here!
Bookbug Week is here and this year we're celebrating the theme of Bookbug's Big Picnic! There are special events taking place in libraries, parks, museums and other venues across Scotland. Take a look at our event search to find out what's happening in your area. But don't worry if you can't join us at an event - there are still lots of ways to get involved with your little ones at home:
- Have your own picnic in your living room, garden, or local park. Find some blankets - or even a large towel - and lay out some of your little one's favourite snacks. You could get your child to bring along their favourite soft toy to make it a special teddy bear's picnic! This is also a great opportunity to share a story, song or rhyme together.
- Sing and dance along to some music! There are plenty of food-related songs and rhymes for you and your wee one to enjoy, including Five Fat Peas, Jelly on a Plate, Ten Red Apples and Bananas Unite in the Bookbug Song and Rhyme Library. We'll be adding lots of brand new songs and rhymes - including some in Gaelic and Scots - especially for Bookbug Week!
- Enjoy some songs and rhymes on the go with the fun new Bookbug app - it's free to download and includes some of our favourite Bookbug session songs as well as new instrumental versions to sing along to in your own language.
- Look out for our competitions. We'll be launching competitions every day of Bookbug Week - keep an eye on our website and Facebook page for details. We'll have some special picnic-themed prizes to be won as well as bundles of books and lots of mini Bookbug dolls.
- There are so many great stories about food and picnics for you to enjoy during your Bookbug Week celebration. We’ve rounded up some of our favourites in these book lists: Picnic Party, 12 books about food for 0-2s and Food, Glorious Food. Why not take a trip to your local library to look for other foodie stories to share together?
- And don't forget to register for our special Bookbug Week Author's Live with Emily MacKenzie. Emily will be sharing her hilarious picture book, There's Broccoli in My Ice Cream - have your pencils and paper at the ready to draw along!
Wishing all families a wonderful Bookbug Week!