Treasures: Great Aunt's Grafonola
It’s been one week since we launched our new project, Treasures, and stories are already flooding in. From treasured family heirlooms to massive steamships to something as simple as a recipe, your poems, letters and stories tell us the little details of what makes something special to you.
You can read all the submissions sent in so far in our Read Stories section.
We have had stories in from famous faces including Richard Holloway, Denise Mina and Mairi Hedderwick and today we have a brand new story from author Beatrice Colin for your enlightenment and entertainment.
Beatrice has chosen her great aunt’s Grafonola as her treasured item. She says of the wind-up-gramophone:
Every time I give the crank a dozen turns, choose some music and carefully place the needle on the record, I’m amazed at the sound that comes out. The volume (unadjustable) is a blast of pure, glorious joy. The music, recorded live, has so much energy, so much zip, that you want to get up and dance. It’s like being transported back to a brighter, simpler world.
You can the rest of Beatrice’s story here.
Beatrice will be sharing her stories and helping you to to write your own our Treasures writing workshops happening around the country over the next few weeks. Places are still available for the following workshops
- Thursday 16 May, Central Library, Dundee, 5:30pm with Beatrice Colin
- Saturday 25 May, Leith Library, Edinburgh, 1pm with Ewan Morrison
- Saturday 1 June, Inverness Library, Inverness, 2pm with Des Dillon
- Saturday 15 June, Burns Monument Centre, Kilmarnock, 1:30pm with Ewan Morrison
- Saturday 22 June, Carnegie Museum, Fife, 12:30pm with Beatrice Colin
- Saturday 29 June, Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, Isle of Skye, 2pm with Catriona Lexy Chaimbeul
- Saturday 6 July Heart of Hawick Heritage Hub, Hawick, 2pm with Ewan Morrison
- Saturday 13 July, Central Library, Abderdeen, 2pm with Des Dillon
To book your place, phone 0131 524 0160 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details and the details of which workshop you would like to attend.