Bookbug for Foster Carers, Kinship Carers and Adoptive Parents
About the Training
Bookbug Sessions use stories, songs and rhymes to encourage positive interaction between carers and children. Bookbug for the Home training provides carers with the knowledge, tools and resources to be able to confidently bring elements of Bookbug Sessions into their home to support children’s development, including language and literacy. The training will demonstrate practical activities for carers to encourage bonding, interaction and to help support relationship development in their homes.
An optional second session can be provided to meet with the trainer to ask for advice and to exchange ideas with other carers.
To read the full evaluation report on Bookbug for the Home please see our evaluation page.
Course Aims and Objectives
The variety of activities and information included in this course are designed to:
- Support carers to confidently engage with the children they look after using stories, songs, and rhymes
- Guide carers to select appropriate books to share with children based on their emotional age and stage of development
- Improve carers' understanding of the benefits of early interaction and how this contributes to bonding and attachment, as well as brain and language development
- Give carers new ideas and activities to explore with the children in their home
- Boost carers' knowledge of how they can support emotional and social development in children in their care
Course Length: Session one: 3 hours and Session two: 2 months later, 1 ½ hours (optional)
Delegate Numbers: 8 to 15 people
Delegates must be both:
- A Foster Carer, Kinship Carer or Adoptive Parent
- Caring for young children or children of an appropriate stage
Attending or Arranging a Training Session
Individuals - fill out the form on our main training page and ask to be added to our alert list for the course you are interested in. We will email you when a training course is available in your area. If you are not sure you are eligible for any of them, please drop us an email or give us a call.
Groups - if you have a number of people eligible for a particular training course we may be able to organise an in-house session. Fill out the form on our main training page to request an in-house session. Please see above for the delegate number limitations.
Quotes from Delegates
“Gets you thinking how doing simple things can make your life as a foster carer easier.”
“Yes, very useful, although more designed for younger years, it can be adapted to kids who have not had early years learning.”
“Enjoyed all the singing, interaction and learning how something so simple can change a child and help them learn and develop.”
“Bookbug training was amazing, one of the most effective training workshops I have ever been on. The trainer was outstanding and made you believe that you had the skills to empower families. The emphasis on bonding and attachment was totally in line with the ethos of our Fostering & Adoption Team.”