Bookbug for the Home Training
About the Training
Bookbug for the Home is for professionals or volunteers working with families that would benefit from extra support with song, rhyme and book sharing. Bookbug for the Home is a flexible approach that can be used to engage families in one to one interactions or in small groups.
The course consists of two sessions. The first session provides the delegate with all of the theoretical and practical knowledge and resources they will need to try Bookbug activities in a family’s home or in a small group. The second gives trainees the opportunity to share their experiences and gain advice and support from their trainer and their peers.
To read case studies of how Bookbug for the Home has been used, please see our evaluation page.
Please note: this type of training does not train you to run full 30-minute Bookbug Sessions with groups. If you are interested in delivering Bookbug Sessions, please see our page on Bookbug Session Leader training.
Course Aims and Objectives
The variety of activities and information included in this course are designed to:
- Give practitioners the knowledge and confidence to engage families in practical activities to encourage singing, rhyming, talking and book sharing in the home on a one-to-one basis or within small groups
- Encourage practitioners to pass on key messages to families about the benefits of singing, rhyming, talking and book sharing
- Explore how to sensitively approach these activities in light of barriers that may exist in some families
- Improve understanding of the benefits of early interaction and how this contributes to bonding and attachment, as well as brain and language development
Course Length: Session one: 3 hours and Session two: 2 months later, 1 ½ hours (attendance is required at both)
Delegate Numbers: 8 to 15 people
Delegates must be both:
- Attached to an organisation. This can be as either as staff or a volunteer, but the support of an organisation is essential.
- Planning to use the Bookbug for the Home approach with families with children from birth to five years old (not just to children by themselves).
Typical Bookbug for the Home delegates are members of health visiting teams, family support workers, social workers, social work assistants, speech and language therapists and other family outreach workers.
Attending or Arranging a Training Session
Individuals - fill out the form on our main training page and ask to be added to our alert list for the course you are interested in. We will email you when a training course is available in your area. If you are not sure you are eligible for any of them, please drop us an email or give us a call.
Groups - if you have a number of people eligible for a particular training course we may be able to organise an in-house session. Fill out the form on our main training page to request an in-house session. Please see above for the delegate number limitations.