Bookbug Explorer Bag Training: Making the Most of Your Gifting Events
About the Training
The Bookbug Explorer Bag is gifted to every three-year-old in Scotland in their ante-preschool year. The free Explorer Bag is packed with books, music, drawing materials and other resources to encourage parent and child interaction.
Research shows us that the bags are most effective when parents and children are involved in the gifting process. This training session offers staff ideas on how to make best use of this resource. The training includes a Bookbug Explorer Bag gifting handbook and an Explorer Bag for each setting to take away and use to prepare their gifting events.
Course Aims and Objectives
The variety of activities and information included in this course are designed to:
- Give practitioners an understanding of how to gift the Explorer Bag effectively, including how to integrate the bag into their setting to excite children about books, stories and reading
- Improve understanding of how to engage parents in Bookbug bag gifting and why this is important
- Give ideas of practical activities that can be done in a setting that will build excitement before gifting the bags
- Highlight key messages about book sharing to pass on parents
- Show how the Explorer bag links to GIRFEC and Curriculum for Excellence
Course Length: 1 ½ hours. It can be delivered during in-service days or as a twilight session to ensure staff are able to attend.
Delegate Numbers: 12 to 20 people
Delegates must be both:
- Staff from Nurseries, Early Years settings or Libraries
- Involved in gifting the Explorer Bags to three year olds
Attending or Arranging a Training Session
Individuals - fill out the form on our main training page and ask to be added to our alert list for the course you are interested in. We will email you when a training course is available in your area. If you are not sure you are eligible for any of them, please drop us an email or give us a call.
Groups - if you have a number of people eligible for a particular training course we may be able to organise an in-house session. Fill out the form on our main training page to request an in-house session. Please see above for the delegate number limitations. If you are part of a setting with under 15 people who are eligible for training, try getting in touch with nearby nurseries to make up the numbers.
Quotes from Delegates
“I just wanted to say a quick thank you for the training. It was most useful, really enjoyable and the staff are very enthusiastic to undergo changes within the setting to accommodate all their ideas surrounding literacy, songs, rhymes and stories.”