Symbol sheet resources for the Bookbug Picture Book Prize 2018
CALL Scotland have produced a fantastic selection of free resources to help pupils with additional support needs to take part in the Bookbug Picture Book Prize. These resources will help pupils read and engage with the three shortlisted titles in the Bookbug Picture Book Prize 2018: Gorilla Loves Vanilla, Little Owl's Egg and The Fourth Bonniest Baby in Dundee.
You can see these resources in action and get ideas on how they can be used in this video, filmed at Braidburn School in Edinburgh.
Accessible Versions of the Shortlisted Titles
Accessible versions of the shortlisted titles will be available on request from CALL from mid-September. The titles are available as Powerpoint files, accessible by touchscreen, keyboard, mouse, joystick, Switch or Eye Gaze. There are also Keynote files available to download straight to your iPad. You can visit CALL Scotland's website to find out more information and contact CALL to request accessible versions of the books.
Symbol Sheet Resources for Speech-Impaired Pupils
CALL have also produced wonderful free symbol sheet resources, which you can download below, to help pupils with communication difficulties take part in the Bookbug Picture Book Prize. The symbol sheets provide pupils with pictures they can point to to indicate their responses to questions. The sheets are designed to help pupils do three things:
- respond to the books as you read through together (you can see a video on CALL's website explaining how to use the sheets for this - the video refers to the shortlisted titles from the 2015 Scottish Children's Book Awards, but the principles remain the same);
- participate in learning activities based on the books from the main Bookbug Picture Book Prize learning resource (again, there is a supporting video on CALL's website to show you how this can be done);
- discuss which book they prefer and vote in the Bookbug Picture Book Prize.
In the downloadable zip folder below, you'll find a folder entitled 'Quick Guides'. The guides in this folder will give you a great introduction to using the symbol sheets.
Different Formats Available
In the zip folder below, you'll find symbol sheets which can be used with five different platforms:
- They can be used on their own as paper printouts, with pupils pointing to the images to indicate their responses;
- They can be used as overlays with a GoTalk 9+;
- They can be used as overlays with a Big Mack Communicator;
- They can be used as overlays with a Little Step-by-Step Communicator;
- There are also files which can be used with the free iPad app SoundingBoard. This app works in much the same way as the devices mentioned above, with pre-stored voice recordings assigned to the symbol buttons, ready to use. These files can be downloaded straight to your iPad.