Apply Now for Author Visits
The Live Literature programme works with you to bring authors from our database into your community. Read on to find out how to apply for author visits.
- Application deadlines
- Why apply for Live Literature author visits?
- Who can apply?
- How to Apply
- Frequently asked questions
- What are the panel looking for?
- Get in touch
Applications for events to take place in January, February or March 2017 are now open. The deadline for applications is Wednesday 28 September 2016 at noon. Find out how to apply below.
For events taking place between 1 April and 31 December 2017, the deadline is Wednesday 25 January 2017 noon. We are not accepting applications for this deadline yet. Applications will open later in the year.
For information on future deadlines, sign up to one of our e-updates.
Why apply for Live Literature author visits?
Scottish Book Trust provides a package of support to help you make the most of getting an author involved in your work, including:
- Scottish Book Trust pays the author’s fee (£150 per session), travel and accommodation expenses directly to the author after the event. We provide a claim form to make this easy, fast and straightforward.
- You pay a pre-set, predictable cost per session – great for budgets! We invoice you for a contribution to the author’s fee after the event (£75 per session, a total of £90 including VAT. Some organisations can reclaim VAT).
- Everyone pays the same contribution, no matter how short or long the author’s journey to the session. This gives you more flexibility to choose authors and helps you bring new voices to your audiences.
- There is help and advice available at every step of organising your sessions from the experienced team at Scottish Book Trust.
- Scottish Book Trust’s Marketing Team can help you promote your events online and locally.
Who can apply?
The panel carefully read and consider all applications. Where appropriate, the panel give feedback along with the award decision. Individuals and not-for profit organisations in every part of Scotland can apply for support to host events or projects with authors. These include:
- Schools (see our FAQ for important information for schools)
- Community groups
- Arts organisations
- Local festivals
- Writing/Reading Groups
- Organisations that work with adults and/or children with disabilities
How to apply
- Check if you are eligible to apply and you can meet the cost of your sessions.
- Download a draft application form.
- Please draft your application offline! You cannot save part-way through the form and the website does not auto-save, so please back up your application and copy/paste it in online.
- Submit your application online here before the deadline.
- You will hear the result of your application within six weeks of the deadline.
Frequently asked questions
Find out more about how long a session is, double funding, ongoing projects, charging for events, Curriculum for Excellence and more on our frequently asked questions page.
What are the panel looking for?
- Find out more on our frequently asked questions page.
- Read advice from former panellists on our blog.
- Download our step-by-step guide to the application form (PDF).