Apply for Partner Funding
Book Week Scotland wouldn’t be possible without the passion, creativity and hard work of the organisations who get involved, from funded partners, schools and libraries to workplaces, community groups and many more. We’re really excited about all the events you are planning this year and can’t wait to celebrate the power of books and reading with people all over Scotland this November. The theme for Book Week Scotland 2019 is Conversation. Not all events or activities need to be informed by the theme, as we will be looking to build a range of events, related to books, reading and writing.
This page includes some key information and dates relating to Book Week. You can find more detailed information in our Book Week Scotland 2019 handbook which will be available from July 2019.
Organisations can now apply for support to hold an event as part of Book Week Scotland. The deadlline for all applications is Friday 24 May at 5pm.
Funding for Book Week Scotland 2019
The Individual Partners fund is for organisations that want to plan and deliver their events themselves. If you’ve applied for BWS event funding previously this is the model you will be familiar with.
The Blether Together fund gives organisations the chance to collaborate together to programme an event for BWS. Whether you have an existing relationship with an organisation or an idea for an event that would benefit from another organisation’s audience or expertise the Blether Together fund gives you the chance to work together to make a great event!
Organisations can apply for both funds. However, you will need to complete two separate online applications. If you haven't programmed events before, or feel you would benefit from additional catered support, you might want to apply for the Book Week Scotland Emerging Programmers fund instead. There is no restriction on applying to multiple funds.
- Applications for Book Week Scotland event funding from single organisations
- Organisations can apply for a maximum of two funded sessions
- Successful applicants will receive £325 per awarded session
- Designed for organisations that would like to join forces to programme a joint event for Book Week Scotland.
- One lead contact applies on behalf of both organisations.
- There must be an agreement between partnering organisations before the application is completed. (Scottish Book Trust cannot facilitate agreements between organisations.)
- Successful applicants will receive £500 to programme their joint event.
- Events can take place anywhere in Scotland and must be open to the public
- Events can feature an author/storyteller/illustrator/writer or be an event without an author.
- Authors do not have to be part of the Live Literature Funding database but we do ask that you pay author fees at the Live Literature rate of £175 per session.
- You can apply for support for up to two events/activities. An ‘event’ should last roughly 1-1.5 hours. All events may not be granted.
- The events may charge an admission fee, provided the money raised goes towards covering event expenses.
- All financial support provided by Scottish Book Trust must be used to deliver the event/activity. Funds received may not be used to support selling tickets for profit, to purchase book stock which will be sold at the event, or any other profit generation.
We will accept proposals from, but not limited to:
- Arts organisations
- Museums and Heritage organisations
- Community organisations and groups
- 3rd sector organisations
- Public sector organisations and Local Authority service providers
Scottish Book Trust will assess all the proposals and will allocate support in order to best deliver a diverse, engaging and interesting programme for Book Week Scotland. We will be looking to ensure:
- A broad geographical spread of activity
- Diversity in the type of activities and events offered
- Accessibility and inclusion
If your application is not awarded funding or you do not wish to apply for funding, you are welcome to put on an event or activity for Book Week Scotland anyway.
Book Week Scotland All-In Day
If your application is successful we will invite you to join us for a Book Week Scotland All-In Day on Friday 21 June at Edinburgh City Art Centre. The event is a great opportunity to meet lots of people taking part in BWS, share ideas with one another and get all the info you need to plan a great event!
Promotion and Participation
To help you publicise your Book Week Scotland events we provide a range of free print materials such as posters, postcards and bookmarks. We also provide a Book Week Scotland Handbook with guidance on planning an event, generating press coverage and the evaluation process.
Important Dates for Book Week Scotland 2019
Deadline for funding applications: Friday 24 May at 5pm.
All-In Day: Friday 21 June at Edinburgh City Art Centre
Handbook release: July 2019
Book Week Scotland Press Launch: Wednesday 23 October
Book Week Scotland: Monday 18 to Sunday 24 November 2019