Scottish Book Trust is the national agency for the promotion of literature, reading and writing in Scotland. We develop award-winning projects that encourage people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to become literate, read for pleasure, write, and be inspired by books.
Help future generations to share your love of books and reading with a Gift in your Will.
This February, you have the opportunity to have a basic Will written or updated FREE of charge as part of the 'Love the Arts, Leave to the Arts' scheme. To find out more visit the Arts & Business Scotland website.
Why support us?
Scotland needs to do more for its children and its disadvantaged adults. A recent study shows that we have fallen in the international league tables of literacy from 14th to 26th place. Yet adolescents entering the adult world in the 21st century will need to read and write more than at any other time in human history. They will need advanced levels of literacy to perform their jobs, act as citizens, lead their personal lives and contribute to the success of the nation.
Scottish Book Trust’s programmes support children, families and adults to acquire these utterly fundamental skills, while providing educators with the tools to teach them in creative and memorable ways.
How you can help
With your support we can:
- Gift free books to all children in Scotland under 5 years – a life-changing gift for vulnerable children who do not have access to books
- Take authors to visit schools in some of the most remote areas in Scotland. Meeting a real “live” author transforms the way children perceive reading and writing
- Help isolated adults participate in nation-wide campaigns and share their own stories and love of books with others
- Provide teachers with creative tools to develop the way they teach literacy. Poor literacy can mean children do not gain the knowledge they need to succeed at school and as adults will have limited opportunities
- Nurture emerging writers and support established writers to ensure the development of a thriving writing community in Scotland
- And much more!
Your valued support will help us to continue our vital work in communities all over Scotland.