Marketing Lab: Sarah Barrie’s Top Tech Tips for Creating an Author Website
Sarah Barrie, Website Manager at Scottish Book Trust, has some handy tips to help you deal with the technical side of your author website.
Tips for creating your author website:
- Dont be intimidated: First off, don’t be intimidated by creating a website. There’s a lot of technical jargon out there but nothing you won’t be able to find out about with a quick Google search.
- Get a domain name: If you don’t already have a domain name for your website, it’s a good idea to get one. They are relatively cheap and look much more professional than ones with, for example, ‘wordpress.com’ on the end.
- Choose your platform: Have a think about the platform you’d like for your website. This is a totally individual thing. Wordpress is a great choice for building sites as well as for blogging.
- Consider SEO: Think about Search Engine Optimisation, which really just means think about the kind of words and ideas you’d like your website associated with and be sure to include them in your copy, images and page titles.
- Allow yourself to play: Be sure to experiment and allow yourself to play. Your website should be fun, not something that hangs over you. Only by trying things out will you find out what works best for you.
Check out the rest of our marketing, networking and advertising tips for writers in our series of Marketing Lab videos.