Find out more about the New Writers Awards 2019
The New Writers Awards are currently closed for applications. The deadline was Wednesday 4 July at noon. We will be in touch with everyone who applied with the result of their application by the end of December 2018. Find out what happens to your application here.
These annual awards are a fantastic opportunity for individuals committed to developing their writing.
- A £2,000 cash award, allowing them to focus on their work
- Tailored personal development opportunities, which can include mentoring from writers and industry professionals.
- Training in PR, performance and presentation training
- The opportunity to showcase work to publishers and agents.
- A week long retreat offering time, space and the freedom to create new work in idyllic surroundings.
Writers over the age of 18 can apply for one category, provided they meet the eligibility criteria. There is no upper age limit to apply.
Want to apply? Click on a category below to find out more (provided for information only):
The awards are divided into three different categories. Find out more and start the application process below.
- Fiction and Narrative Non-fiction in English and Scots
- Poetry in English and Scots
- Children’s and Young Adult Fiction in English and Scots
Application deadline 4 July, 2018.
Check our Privacy Statement to see how we use and store information about your application.
Here's what previous awardees had to say about their experiences on the programme:
Malachy Tallack, author of Sixty Degrees North and The Valley at the Centre of the World
SBT's investment is a motivating and validating. This is THE prize to win to nurture new writing. Enter now - you have nothing to lose."
Ciara MacLaverty, author of Past Love in the Museum of Transport
The New Writers Award let me buy out my time as a freelance journalist to embark on the project; a week’s writing retreat let me write 22,000 words which inspired me to keep going; and a generous, expert mentor helped me through the editing process. I will never be able to thank the SBT enough for its support."
Olga Wojtas, author of Miss Blaine’s Prefect and the Golden Samovar