New Writers Awards 2019 Category: Poetry in English and Scots
There are three awards for the Poetry category
Scottish Book Trust are delighted to be working in partnership with the Scottish Poetry Library on the New Writers Awards for Poetry in English and Scots.
You can submit poetry in both Scots and English for this category, as well as submissions that use a combination of both languages. Performance poets are welcome to submit recorded samples.
Please click here to read the eligibility criteria carefully before applying.
Everything you need for your application:
You will apply via Submittable (after completing our Equalities and Diversity form) and we strongly suggest writing out your answers on a separate document to save and redraft as needed.
Please choose whether you will apply with written work or as a performance poet. You only need to fill in one form.
For poets submitting a written sample, please include:
- Your personal details.
- A list of your writing achievements to date. (Word limit: 500 words.)
- A personal statement telling us how a New Writers Award would benefit your development as a writer. (Word limit: 500 words.)
- A sample of your poetry. (Written samples: up to 10 poems, no more than 200 lines. Recordings of performance poetry: no more than 5 minutes in total.)
- If your sample is an extract from a longer work, we also need to a synopsis. (Word limit: 500 words.)
For performance poets submitting a recording of their work:
- You must read our guidelines before making your recording.
- Complete a Poetry application form, including a link to a recording of no more than 5 minutes on an online streaming service.
- If you are performing an extract from a long poem or show, please include a synopsis. (Word limit: 500 words.)
- Please include a transcript of your recorded sample
- The New Writers Awards application process is confidential: you must take adequate steps to ensure your recording is secure and private.
If you cannot make a recording or transcript of your performance for any reason or you have any other questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply now (provided for information only):
Scottish Book Trust is committed to promoting equality and diversity. To help us monitor how well we’re doing, you will be asked to fill in a short Equalities and Diversity survey before completing your New Writers Award application form. Your answers will be completely confidential, will be stored anonymously and securely and will not be accessible by the judges.
The deadline for applications has now passed (4th July) and we'll be in touch with everyone who applied by the end of December.
Bill Herbert, Raman Mundair and Hannah Lavery (Scottish Poetry Library)